Thursday, May 13, 2010

In-Flight Failures...

I spent some time checking the various options, and at the end, the in-flight failures of FSX seem the best choice. There are a number of sections (instruments, systems, radios, engines, ...) and each section has a list of possible elements that can fail.

As I would like to have random failure, both in terms of when something will fail and what will fail, I have found a simple way to achieve it:

  • choose the "random" option for each section in which I want one or more failure
  • I choose how many element I want to possibly fail (usually no more than 1 or 2)
  • I choose a time interval in which the failure will occur. Note that I said "will" meaning that something is bound to happen within that interval. However, By choosing a time interval which is higher than the flight duration, one can choose the % of failure. To make an example, with a 2 hours flight and a 4 hours interval I have a 50% (2/4) probability that something will go bad
The duration of the failure is random. That's also fun.

Of course, an engine failure or a fuel leak (both failures are possible) is a serious issue when flying for example over mountains or over the sea. That means I should take this in account when choosing the aircraft to use for this tour: most probably, a two engines aircraft is safer!

No comments: